Orange Zest Scones
Whole wheat scones with a bright burst of orange zest, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, topped with an orange vanilla glaze is the perfect surprise treat to bring for your mom on Mother’s Day.
Your mom is a wonderful and unique person who loves you unconditionally, kissed your boo boos when you fell, made your lunches, the one who is always there for you when you are down. The one person who has every moment of you wrapped up inside of her, memories she cherishes now and when she is older. Make her feel special, beautiful,and loved this Mother’s Day and every day because no one else in this world deserves more. 🙂
Trust me, these scones will make her smile and your family! They are DELICIOUS! The kids will love them too!
– 1/3 cup sugar
– zest of 2 medium or large oranges
– 1 tbs brown sugar
– 1 cup whole wheat flour
– 1 cup white whole wheat flour
– 1 tbs baking powder
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 3 tbs chopped chilled butter
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
– 1 egg
– 2 tbs skim milk
– 1 tbs vanilla bean paste or extract
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the glaze:
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1 tbs orange juice
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1-2 tbs milk (depending on desired thickness)
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees
– In a stand mixer or large bowl using an electric mixer, add sugars and zest. Using your fingers make sure the sugar has absorbed most of the zest and is thoroughly blended.
– Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix until blended
– in a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients: applesauce, egg, vanilla, and milk.
– Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until thoroughly mixed.
Add wet ingredients to dry.
While the mixer is on, add the walnuts until they are evenly distributed.
Scoop dough on a greased baking sheet and form a rectangle ( about 1/2″ thickness) I floured my hands to help spread dough.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing or glazing.
To cut, cut into four columns, then slice into even squares, then cut those squares in diagonals.
To make the glaze, mix all ingredients together. Add more powdered sugar if it is too runny.
I hope all of you have a wonderful Mother’s Day!!!
Get the Latest Updates!
Get a FREE Whole30 7 Day Meal Plan when you sign up!