Blackberry Basil Stuffed French Toast
French toast was always a special treat in my house growing up. I would get so excited when I could smell the warm cinnamon smell wafting it’s way upstairs from the kitchen.
Embarrassingly enough I just very recently learned how to make it!! I tried making it once a few years ago and the egg stuck to the pan and the bread burned… I gave up. But a few months ago I faced the french toast again and was ecstatic when it came out perfect!
I wanted to make a fancier french toast and wanted to incorporate this new flavor blend I have been seeing floating on Pinterest. Blackberries and basil together!! So I thought if I could blend blackberries, basil, and french toast together. It worked!! It was amazing!!
Blackberries are reduced to a jam with raw honey and chopped fresh basil, stuffed inside two slices of french toast with goat cheese. It’s sweet yet savory, it’s yum.
– two slices of bread of choice
– 2 egg whites
– 1 pinch of cinnamon
– 1 cup of blackberries
– 1 tsp raw honey
– 1 packet of Truvia
– 5-6 fresh chopped basil leaves
– 1 oz goat cheese
– In a sauce pan on medium heat spray with cooking spray and add blackberries. Let simmer all the while stirring and smashing berries for 5-8 minutes or until it thickens into a jam.
– while the jam is simmering, mix egg whites and cinnamon together until bubbly. Start soaking bread
– Add honey, truvia, and basil to the jam and turn burner off.
– heat a skillet on medium and spray with cooking spray.
– add soaked bread and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked.
– Place one slice if french toast on plate and top with goat cheese and spread jam on top.
– Place second piece of french toast on top and enjoy!!!
Get the Latest Updates!
Get a FREE Whole30 7 Day Meal Plan when you sign up!