This Instant Pot Japanese Style Short Rib Ramen is my new cozy fall favorite. The short ribs are cooked to fall off the bone tenderness in the MOST flavorful broth. After a quick crisp browning of the ribs add everything else to the Instant Pot put the lid on and let the electric pressure cooker do the job! Best part is the ramen cooks in the bubbling broth afterwards! Means this is truly a one pot dish!
- 2 tbs duck fat or cooking fat
- 3lbs of short ribs (I used The Honest Bison Short Ribs )
- 1 sweet onion, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 inch of grated ginger or 2 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup mirin or rice vinegar
- 2 bags of dashi (use 4 cups of water) See Note for alternative but I HIGHLY recommend dashi here.
- 2 cups of bone broth (recommend beef bone broth but any bone broth will do!)
- 2 tbs red curry paste
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbs sesame oil
- 3-4 "blocks" of ramen. I used the Lotus Foods Rice Ramen here making it GF
- Green onion
- Carrot ribbons
- Soft Boiled Eggs
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Once it reads HOT add the duck fat and brown the short ribs (1-2 min per side). Set ribs aside.
- Deglaze the pot with mirin. Saute the onion until softened (about 5 minutes) stirring frequently so that it doesn't burn. Add the garlic and saute for addition 30 seconds.
- Add the ribs back to the pot. Add the water, broth, coconut aminos, dashi packets, spices, sesame oil, curry paste, and ginger to the pot.
- Place lid on and put valve to SEALING position. Switch to MANUAL mode and set it for 45 minutes. Allow for natural release of 15 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot reads L 0:15, take lid off safely and shred the ribs and discard any bones.
- Switch back to SAUTE mode and bring broth to a simmer. Add ramen and cook until noodles are cooked (5-6 minutes). Add ribs back to pot.
- Serve and slurp!
Instead of dashi, just use 6 cups of beef broth or beef bone broth here. But again I really think dashi here is the way to go!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
Keywords: Instant Pot, Gluten Free, Healthy, Beef, Bison, ramen, Japanese short ribs, dashi