Experience the ultimate Oktoberfest recipe. Pumpkin beer braised bratwurst served with fresh sauerkraut, potatoes, and a delicious sauce that has caramelized onions and apples.
- 2 packages of Bison Bratwurst from The Honest Bison *
- 2 tbs grass fed butter or ghee
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1 apple, sliced thin (I used a Granny Smith- but Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or any other baking apple will work!)
- 2 bottles of pumpkin beer (use glutenfree if GF)
- 1 tbs chopped sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs arrowroot powder
- Fresh sauerkraut
- Heat butter in heavy high rimmed skillet (I used cast iron). Add onion and saute for 8 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the apples and garlic. Saute for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add bratwurst and beer. Bring to a boil then lower to a slight simmer. Partially cover to cook the bratwurst for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat a griddle to sear the bratwurst.
- Turn cast iron heat down to medium low and stir in the arrowroot powder and allow to reduce and thicken (5 minutes)
- While the sauce thickens, sear the bratwurst in the heated griddle pan until there are grill marks.
- Serve brats alongside with sauce, sauerkraut, and your favorite side. I chose air fryer potatoes.
I used bison bratwurst which tastes hearty, savory,and filled with autumn spices. PERFECT for this recipe. But a good quality bratwurst would be a decent substitute.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: One Pan Dish
Keywords: one pan dish, oktoberfest recipes, gluten free, fall recipes