This Air Fryer Falafel recipe with Canned Chickpeas is a healthy protein packed meal made even easier using canned chickpeas! Full of fresh herbs, canned chickpeas, and spices. Perfect to add to a salad, in a warmed pita, or in a greens & grains bowl with a side of hummus. Naturally vegetarian, dairy free, and gluten free!
- 1/2 of small red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed*
- 1/2 cup packed parsley
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup of cassava flour or all purpose flour
- Dry the chickpeas on paper towels
- Prep the falafel mixture: To a food processor add the onion, garlic, and carrots. Pulse for 30 seconds, then add the chickpeas, spices, herbs, and pulse 2-3 times to combine, not pureed.
- Pulse in the flour: Pulse 2 more times.
- Refrigerate Mixture: Cover and chill the mixture for 30 minutes. This ensures a crispier falafel!
- Preheat the air fryer to 350F.
- Form the falafel: Using a cookie scoop or wet hands, form the falafel mixture into balls.
- Bake falafel: Place falafel into air fryer basket, spray with olive oil cooking spray, and bake for 14 minutes. Turn once half way through to ensure even crispness.
* If using dried chickpeas, pre-soak them 8-12 hours (over night works best) then drain.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 Minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: air fryer falafel, falafel with canned chickpeas, chickpea recipe, vegetarian