Pasta e Fagioli - is a hearty Italian soup packed with veggies, small pasta, fava beans or chickpeas, and perfect for a chilly night the whole family will love!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 celery stalks, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 2 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) can fava beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of ditalini pasta (or small shaped pasta)
- 1 parmesan rind
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups of kale
- Extra parm for serving
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (Dutch Oven), heat oil on medium heat. Add the sofrito (onions, carrots, and celery) t the pot. Saute until softened (about 7 minutes) stirring frequently to avoid burning. Add the garlic and zucchini ,saute, stirring often for about 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the broth and tomatoes, scrape up any browned bits at the bottom! Increase the heat to medium high heat and bring to a boil. Add in the beans to the pot along with the spices and parmesan rind.
- Ladle 3 cups of the soup to a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Return the blend back into the soup and stir. Add in the pasta now if you want to cook in the soup. (If not, cook pasta separately). Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately in bowls and sprinkle with extra parmesan.
Dairy - If you can't have dairy no worries! Simply omit the cheese or use your favorite dairy free alternative!
Storage - You can keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3-4 months.
Reheating - You can simply use the microwave or a small saucepan to reheat from the fridge. If from the freezer, allow at least 12-24 hours to thaw in the fridge before reheating.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta e fagioli, vegetarian soup, italian soup, healthy soups