This Kale Bacon Salad with Roasted Crunchy Maple Walnut and Pumpkin Seed clusters brings the best of Winter's bounty and perfect for a main salad course or as a side dish at Thanksgiving or Holiday dinner!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- 2 cups, arugula
- 1/2 cup extra virgini olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Black pepper
- 2 tbs cranberry jam (I use the Trader Joe's Cranberry Relish here!)
- Parmesan and dried cranberries as toppings
- Preheat oven to 400F. To a parchment paper lined baking sheet, toss the walnuts, pepitas, rosemary and maple syrup together. On the other half of the baking sheet add the bacon. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes (remove the candied nut mixture and continue cooking the bacon until crispy!)
- While the nut mixture and bacon crisp in the oven, make the dressing. Add all the dressing ingredients to a jar with a lid. Shake vigorously until combined!
- In a large salad bowl, add the kale and arugula. Toss with some of the dressing (about 1/4 cup). Top with parmesan cheese slices, dried cranberries, the candied walnut mixture, and bacon crumbles!
- Serve immediately. *
Alternatively, if you plan on eating this later then do not toss with the dressing and store in the fridge with all the toppings. Will keep for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: winter salad, kale bacon salad, fall salad