- 2 small eggplants, sliced very thin
- 1/2-3/4 cup of Pasta Sauce
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Basil to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil to taste ( I used 1 tbs in the layering process and about 2 tbs in the browning process)
- Black pepper to taste
- Dried Oregano to taste
- Fine salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Start by slicing the eggplant into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Salt the eggplant slices and let them rest until they have released all the water, then dry them off with a cloth or paper towel and cook them by pan-frying them with a drizzle of oil in batches until all slices have been browned.
- Let’s build the parmigiana: Start by pouring a few tablespoons of the sauce into a baking dish.
- Then form the layers: lay the eggplant slices, pour in the pasta sauce, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and some basil leaves and a pinch of dried oregano. Proceed by adding one layer after the other placing ingredients in this order. Go on like this until you reach the last layer of eggplant, which you are going to season, once again, with the sauce and more parmesan cheese (as much as you like, for it to form a crust during the cooking)
- Bake the Parmigiana at 200°C or 400 degrees F in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Once cooked, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: traditional eggplant parmigiana, eggplant parmesan, healthy eggplant parmesan, low carb