This Whole30 Plant Based bolognese recipe is going to be on REPEAT in your house because your whole family will be begging for it. Seriously. A slow-ish homemade ragu-style red sauce that is FILLED with good-for-you veggies. From meaty eggplant, fresh basil, soffritto, and served over veggie noodles. It's not only great if you are doing a Whole30 but will wow any vegetarian!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 28oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Prep the veggies.
- Make the soffritto. In a food processor or blender, pulse the onion, carrot, and celery until finely minced.
- To a heavy bottomed pan (such as a Dutch oven), heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the soffritto & eggplant and brown the veggies stirring occasionally as to not burn them. (About 10 minutes)
- Add the tomato paste and garlic and stir to combine. Wait until the aroma begins filling up the kitchen (2 minutes).
- Deglaze the pot with the broth and vinegar. Make sure to scrape up any browned bits!
- Stir in the tomatoes and seasonings and bring to a simmer.
- Bring the heat down as low as it will go. Allow to simmer (stirring every so often) for 60- 90 minutes. Ideally 90 minutes to get the MOST flavor.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Serve over your favorite veggie noodle and eat!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: bolognese, whole30, whole30 plant based, italian cuisine, vegetarian bolognese