Smoked Tri Tip roast - a seriously MUST have on your grill this season. This easy recipe will help guide you on how to smoke a tri tip low and slow and PACKED with flavor.
- 2-3lb tri tip roast
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbs ground coffee
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs ghee or grassfed butter
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or your choice of herb (rosemary, parsley, and sage work well here)
- Preheat your grill to 225F. Close the lid once it reaches this temperature.
- Prep your steak. Season all sides of the steak with salt, pepper, coffee, and garlic powder
- Place the tri tip directly on the grill, close the lid and remove from the smoker once the internal temperature (taken from the thickest part of the meat) is with in 5-10 degrees of the desired doneness. For a medium, take off the grill at 130-140F.
- Sear the tri tip. Preheat a cast-iron steak on high heat. Once you can see it start to smoke, add the butter and sear the tri tip on both sides for about 1-2 minutes per side. The internal temperature should be 145F (for medium).
- Allow the steak to rest. Resting time is about 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve!