This salad is my new obsession in life right now. And it is SO filling!!! Seared chicken breasts, roasted chick peas, pistachios, dried cranberries, and fresh goat cheese all over baby kale!!!
I love salads that consist of many components. Who wants to eat a bland salad?? ( my opinion) Seriously, this salad couldn't get any healthier. Tons of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and other awesome nutrients! And after a really tough strength training session this will power you through the day! ( and of course its portable for those of us who don't have a minute to lose!)
To make salad:
I would start by making the salad dressing ( Orange-Lime Dressing):
-4 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2-3 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 tbs fresh orange juice
- 1 tbs honey
- salt and pepper
In a mason jar ( or air tight container), pour all ingredients in and shake vigorously until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
Next onto the salad:
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 can of Garbonzo beans (drained and rinsed)
4 chicken breasts
1 container of baby kale (or 2 bags of baby spinach)
½ cup of pistachios (shelled)
½ cup reduced sugar dried cranberries ( or other dried fruit)
4 hard boiled eggs
4 oz of fresh goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, lay chick peas out in a single layer and toss in 1 tbs of the olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes until nice and toasty!
- While the chick peas are toasting, heat a large oven proof skillet on medium high and spray with cooking spray.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and sear in skillet until brown on both sides and place in oven with chick peas for about 10-15 minutes or until cooked all the through.
This is a method i love to use with most meats because it really helps keep the moisture inside the meat and it never comes out dry! Also, ( in my opinion) you really can't screw it up! So this is my secret to full proof chicken!
- Let the chicken cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Let the chickpeas cool as well.
- Assemble the salads in 4 bowls.
- Put rinsed kale in first, then top with pistachios, dried cranberries, and sliced hard boiled egg.
- Next, place a cooled sliced chicken breast on each salad.
- Top with cooled roasted chickpeas and crumbled goat cheese!
- Enjoy your salad and know you have a guilt-free meal!
I had plenty of leftovers and this makes a PERFECT salad to take to work, school, or wherever you got to be! Especially served in my adorable laptop lunch box! It makes portioning so easy! Just place dry ingredients ( greens, chicken, egg, toppings) and put dressing ( 1 tbs) in a small separate container! YUM!!!
Inspired by Panera Bread's "power bowls" and Iowa Girl Eats Version