Whole30 Sunday Gravy has all the authenticity and tradition of the original saucy favorite but without dairy but I saved the taste for ya! 😉
As you all are well aware. I come from a big Italian family. Holidays meant at least one kind of lasagna was on the table accompanied by crusty bread and grandmother's and aunts telling you you're too skinny and to eat more. Typically it was insulting to have only 2 helpings! lol
I loved making Sunday Gravy on Christmas Eve to serve to everyone. It's literally a sauce that takes all day. Where it simmers on the stove where you can talk and sip on something while you bond with family and friends until it is ready.
I switched it up this year by making it Whole30 and Instant Pot friendly!
This way theres more time to be spent not in the kitchen and more time with the fam!
This version starts off the same way. In fact, the only thing I changed was not adding cheese or italian sausage (typically has sugar) and substituted chicken sausage.
I sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil, then browned the short ribs, and chicken sausage.
I squish the tomatoes by hand!
I turn the heat off and dump a 32oz can of whole peeled tomatoes and hunt and squish each one in the pot by hand!
I think it makes a HUGE difference with flavor. I tried using diced tomatoes and stewed tomatoes with this recipe before an there was no beating the hand squished tomatoes!
I think it adds more love to the sauce too. 🙂
Then you add the lid, seal, and let cook on high pressure for 20 minutes!
I served over roasted spaghetti squash. But you can serve over mashed potatoes, zoodles, or real pasta if not on the Whole30!
Hands down my favorite sauce EVER.
I hope you make this sauce and share it with your family this holiday season. That it brings you as much joy as it has for my family. <3Print
Whole30 Instant Pot Sunday Gravy
- Total Time: 37 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 short ribs
- 1 package of compliant chicken sausage ( I used Bilinski's), sliced
- 1 32 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 15oz can of tomatoe sauce
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 tbs chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode
- Once HOT add oil to heat
- Liberally salt and pepper the short ribs on all sides
- Brown short ribs on 3 side (all sides but the bone side) (2 minutes per side)
- Set ribs aside
- Then add onion to soften (about 5-7 minutes)
- Add garlic for an additional 60 seconds
- Add chicken sausage and ribs back to pot and stir
- Pour tomatoes, sauce, and paste into pot.
- Turn off heat
- Squish tomatoes by hand or by fork. Just ensure all are squished!
- Add basil and garlic powder
- Seal lid and set on high pressure for 22 minutes and allow to naturally release
- Remove short ribs and shred with two forks and discard bones
- Serve immediately!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 22 mins
[…] Whole30 Instant Pot Sunday Gravy […]