Because who doesn't love a fantastic avocado toast recipe? Topped with an egg, fresh veggies, and a little spicy chili oil. Pretty much describes my perfect meal.
There was this viral Tik Tok trend last month of "grated eggs" over avocado toast. But WAY before this was a trend thing, I actually had forgotten I had tried the delicious grated egg over avocado toast on my blogger's trip to Maine back in 2017! Guys...when I tell you this was the BEST AVOCADO TOAST I have ever had. And when this lovely brunch recipe became a trend this year... I KNEW I had to recreate this "recipe" here on the blog!
My love of avocado toast runs deep. Just ask my family. I actually made an avocado on toast bar for our Christmas brunch this year! So fun!
Typically I am a fan of the classic soft scrambled egg over mine. And I love a runny poached egg too. There is just something special about the grated hard boiled egg that makes this a gourmet avocado toast. The consistency of grated eggs is light, fluffy, almost like shredded cheese. Plus with all the flavors and textures of the crunchy radishes, toasted sourdough bread, and a drizzle of chili onion crunch oil from Trader Joe's. SO GOOD.
- Any style of egg you want! If grated eggs aren't calling you, make scrambled, traditional sliced hard boiled eggs, or sunny side up!
- I personally LOVE adding extra veggies on my toast. Thinly sliced radishes and cucumbers, tomato slices, chives, and broccoli sprouts!
- Everything but the bagel seasoning is another favorite of mine to top off my toast with!
- Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch Oil - A MUST. It's savory, spicy, and provides that garlic/onion vibes I LOVE.
- Try it WITHOUT an egg! I do this a lot.
- Quick Pickled Onions or jalapeños, a dash of your favorite hot sauce, or sliced cherry tomatoes.
- It can be a little tricky to find the perfectly ripe avocado. But once you know, you know.
- Look for an avocado that yield a bit to a gentle squeeze. Avoid using avocados that are mushy or browned and bruised on the inside.
- Here's a neat guide I found on picking the PERFECT AVOCADO
Crusty hearty sourdough is a favorite of mine as it has the bonus of being a fermented food! HELLO to more nutrient density!
My other recommendation isa wholesome whole grain bread. I actually make this one regularly and it comes out PERFECT every time in my bread machine!
Short answer: YES!
If you combine the right toppings on it then it just BOOSTS your nutrients!
Avocados provide not only healthy fats to this meal but also a whopping 7g of FIBER!
Depending on which bread you choose you get the boost of fermented foods OR more fiber from the whole grains used in the bread. WIN/WIN IMO.
A diversity of plants in any meal is KEY to improving your gut health. So the more variety the better!
Eggs - provide another healthy dose of protein!
Broccoli Sprouts - Broccoli is a sulforaphane which is a natural plant compound found in most cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and brussels sprouts. It is only activated when cut or chewed in it's raw form. It really good at regulating your sugar levels, has anticancer benefits, as well as improve constipation. And broccoli sprouts is the KING as it contains 10-100x of sulforaphane as a whole head of broccoli!!! 🥦
Read more about it here!
How to Make the BEST Avocado Toast
- First is to smash the avocado. Mashed avocado is more creamy and spreadable than sliced (think guacamole vibes here). But DON'T mash it on the toast! You risk tearing your toast apart before you get a chance to enjoy it! Cut your avocado(s) in half, discard the pit, and spoon out the green goodness into a bowl. Mash it up with you fork and squeeze with lemon juice. I also like to sprinkle in a little salt here too.
Mashing up more than one avocado? Pro tip is to grab a bigger bowl and a potato masher to make quick work of getting the the creamy green goodness.
2. Then it is time for toppings! As I mentioned before if you are going for the healthy version of avocado on toast I love to add as many vegetables as possible!
3. Next, spread an even layer of your smashed avocado. Grab your zester or grater and gently grate your hard boiled egg over top. It's OK if it crumbles a little!