This Whole30 compliant air fryer coconut shrimp with a spicy sauce (not so compliant) but a Whole30 ranch like the Tessemae's Habernero Ranch goes REALLY well with these coconut shrimp!
These shrimp have been on repeat all summer and as I am NOT ready to share pumpkin/apple/fall things yet. PLUS it's still like in the 90s here in Virginia...not ready for the warm and cozy recipes just yet...
Give me like a week and I will be there...says the girl who has already purchase all the fall scented candles 😉
Crispy, crunchy and perfectly dippable shrimp is all done in the air fryer. My latest obsession. Here is the one I have and love. It's big but SO worth the extra space to make dinner all in one time span.
And during my kitchen rennovation that is FINALLY coming to a close I still have no oven so the air fryer and Instantpot have been my go to cooking methods!
If you follow me on Instagram, I have been posting the kitchen progress as it happens!
As this is my second air fryer recipe here on the blog, I will help break it down for you if you are a newbie like me. It's SO easy to use and these come out as if they were deep fried but SO much healthier for you!
The breading does take a minute but I put on my playlist and it literally took 2-3 Beatles songs. Plus a dance party with my dog.
Tips for EXTRA CRISPY shrimp.
- Make sure your shrimp is DRY before breading. SO important. It helps the flour and egg to adhere to the shrimp better and not soggy!
- DO NOT over crowd the air fryer. The shrimp should be in an even layer. This ensures an even crisping!
- A spritz of avocado or olive oil spray on top is KEY. I like to spray the tops then spray again once I flip them over.
And thats about it! Dredge, place in the fryer, spritz with oil, and in less than 10 minutes you have perfect Air Fried Coconut Shrimp.
The dip is simple. Mix everything together for a spicy yet cool (due to the greek yogurt) makes a perfect pair.
My plans for these shrimp nuggies?
- I go for the "stuff in a bowl" (Thanks Melissa Urban) 99% of a time when I make a protein. On a bed of greens, add crispy crunch coconut shrimp, lime zest, lime juice spritz, dressing, and maybe some rice or cauliflower rice and some basil from the garden. SO GOOD!
Looking for more Whole30 recipes??? Check out my favorites below!
Whole30 Air Fryer Sticky Orange Chicken
Whole30 Chicken Sausage Breakfast Skillet
Whole30 Instant Pot Chicken Pad ThaiPrint
Whole30 Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
Air fryer coconut shrimp with a spicy yet cool dipping sauce
Healthier than take out... and so tasty!
FOR THE SHRIMP
12 oz of shrimp, peeled and deveined (tail can be on or off)
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup of almond or coconut flour
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
FOR THE SAUCE
¼ cup of Greek yogurt (substitute coconut cream if dairy free)
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbs of Sambal Oelek or Sriracha sauce
1 tsp of honey
or use a Whole30 compliant ranch if doing the Whole30
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, ESPECIALLY important if using thawed shrimp. This helps make them crispy!
- Mix the flour, coconut, and spices in a shallow bowl.
- Dredge the shrimp in the egg then into the coconut/flour mixture. Make sure shrimp is covered on both sides evenly.
- Spray the air fryer basket with coconut oil. Lay the shrimp in a single layer (work in batches if necessary) in the air fryer pan. Spray the shrimp with coconut oil.
- Bake in the air fryer at 365F for 8 minutes; flipping halfway through to get an even crisp.
- While the shrimp cooks, make the dipping sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
To serve: Serve in lettuce wraps, over a salad, over cauliflower rice, or even as an appetizer!
- Category: Whole30
- Cuisine: Seafood
Keywords: whole30; air fryer; healthy; better than take-out
What is the nutritional information?
Hi Barbara! I actually don't post nutritional information on my recipes any more. I don't find them to be accurate because use of ingredients can vary A LOT when it comes down to the breakdown of macros. I recommend using an app like My Fitness Pal if you need to know the nutritional information. But I really hope you enjoy this recipe! 🧡