Sometimes you just NEED a good bowl of warm cozy soup to hold on a chilly winter night. (This is me most nights though regardless of the weather!). This creamy tangy with a touch of sweetness soup was JUST what hit my craving button this week. And I plan to make it again and again. Perfect blender soup right here!
What's most glorious about this soup? It can essentially be made with two ingredients: curry paste (green or red) plus coconut milk. At it's basic level, you still have a delicious solid base right here.
After adding the base of the soup to the Instant Pot you add some aromatics (Ginger, onion, garlic), some starchy veggies (potatoes, eggplant, cauliflower) and that's it! Once you add the toppings (SO MANY OPTIONS HERE - but we will get to that later. So this is pretty much the clean-out-the-fridge soup.
With the help of one of my favorite kitchen appliances the Instant Pot (which if you haven't ordered one WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR???) biggest time saver plus the recipes always come out great. This soup recipe is DONE in minutes. Like less than 15 minutes.
So while we wait for the Instant Pot to pressurize our coconut curry soup, I like to put the tofu in a tofu press (don't worry if you don't have one - and don't get one if you don't eat tofu often). What I found pre-tofu press was a baking sheet lined with paper towels then add tofu then sandwich it in with another baking sheet and add something heavy on top - I use a cast iron pan or a few cook books!
Ok. I feel like I need to explain my first ever tofu-y recipe on the blog. Jake and I took a gut health test and based off our results...we have been eating lots of plants! (we are by no means going vegetarian- but I consider us 80% plant based now). Eating REAL WHOLE foods that come from the earth or minimally processed is the goal here and eating plants in abundance instead of restrictive diet mentality!
Ok back to the recipe! 🙂
I love adding texture to my soups. Gimmie all the toppings please! So I loved the idea of crispy tofu and lots of fresh veggies in this soup!
Just crisp up the tofu in the oven, chop any veggies you have on hand, and by the time you do all that - soup's done!
And get this, the more starchy veggies you add to the soup - the thicker it will be! Basically using veggies as a thickening agent here!
Need more cozy soup ideas? Here are some of the highly rated soup recipes on my blog!
Smoked Sausage and Potato Soup
Whole30 Creamy Lemony Garlic Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Japanese Style Short Rib Ramen
Bone Broth: How to make it and why you shouldPrint
Instant Pot Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Crispy Tofu
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Instant Pot Thai Coconut Curry Soup - Smoothy creamy and done quick and seamlessly with any veggies you have on hand! Perfect Vegetarian and plant-based soup that is done in less than 30 minutes from start to finish!
- 1 tbs of sesame or avocado oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 small white onion
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1" of ginger, grated
- 3 tbs red curry paste
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 14oz can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or stock
- ¼ cup of lime juice (1-2 limes)
Veggie Topping Options
- CRISPY TOFU
- red cabbage
- bell peppers
- green onion
- dried mushrooms
- sour cream or yogurt (omit if dairy free)
- Put your Instant Pot in SAUTE mode. Once it reads HOT, add oil, sweet potato, onion,and garlic.
- Stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes) or until onion and garlic are becoming softened. Add ginger, curry paste,seasonings, coconut milk, and broth.
- Stir to combine then place lid on and make sure the valve is in the SEALED position. Turn OFF SAUTE mode and press MANUAL for 10 minutes. Once it beeps to indicate it is done, carefully quick release.
- While the soup is cooking, preheat the oven to 425. On a baking sheet add cubed pressed tofu and toss with 1 tbs of avocado oil and 1 tbs arrow root powder. Bake in oven for 20 minutes turning once.
- Prep any other veggies you want to add as a topping.
- Using an immersion blender (or in batches with a high powered blender), blend soup until smooth.
- Serve with veggies and crispy tofu!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: whole food plant based, dairy free, gluten free, whole30, paleo
[…] am trying to incorporate more Instant Pot recipes here on the […]