This Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso recipe is my Starbuck's copycat version but made with REAL ingredients and overall healthier option versus the sugar-packed coffee house option. This iced shaken espresso is not only simple to make at home but my personal answer to the $7 version at the store. This is WAY better for you and your wallet! Made with REAL dark chocolate, unsweetened almond milk, whole coffee beans, and a touch of natural sweetener from maple syrup... I would go as far to say it's BETTER than the real thing.
What you are going to LOVE about this Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso
✔️ Shake not Stir: As the name implies you will be SHAKING it up when it comes to this iced coffee drink.
✔️ Your favorite Starbuck's drink at home: I LOVE the original but I am NOT about the UNCLEAN ingredients or the price! You get WAY more bang for your buck making this at home and once you see how EASY it is to make you will make the healthier swap ALWAYS.
✔️ Healthier Version: If you are trying to eat healthier and cut out all those processed ingredients, then start by making these SMART SWAPS at home. Focusing on making small changes daily will result in BIG changes!
✔️ It's truly DAIRY FREE: Yup, The Starbuck's version is actually not dairy free! They use chocolate malt powder int their recipe which CONTAINS DAIRY. So if you are looking for a true dairy free iced shaken espresso recipe - look no further!
Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso Ingredients
- Cocoa Powder - I love using unsweetened cocoa powder in this recipe. It blends really well with the hot espresso and gives the drink that dark chocolate flavor I LOVE.
- Espresso - We use 2 shots of espresso in this recipe with our espresso machine. BUT if you do not own an espresso machine NO worries! Just use ½ cup of strong freshly brewed coffee and you should be good.
- Sweetener - I LOVE using maple syrup or honey here. But you can also use a 1:1 replacement using cane sugar. All are on my approved natural sweetener list. I truly love to live out consuming foods with no processed ingredients. It's why I develop recipes! I KNOW what's in it! 🙂
- Sea Salt - Not only is sea salt actually a good hydrator, but it brings out the sweetness in the coffee.
- Almond Milk - Any unsweetened almond milk will do here. Just watch those ingredients to ensure it's JUST almond milk!
- Mason Jar or Cocktail shaker - This is where the fun happens! Time to shake things up!
How to make Iced Shaken Espresso
- Brew espresso/coffee.
- To a large mason jar or cocktail shaker add cocoa powder, espresso shots, maple syrup, and salt. Place llid on and shake vigorously to combine the flavors thoroughly.
- Pour over ice.
- Froth up the almond milk. This is optional but I LOVE a good froth!
Tips and Tricks for the BEST Iced Shaken Espresso
- If you think you are going to be OBSESSED with this and want it everyday like I do. Triple or quadruple the recipe and store in the fridge. This way all you need to do is grab, pour over ice, and top off with regular almond milk.
- A Iced Coffee Kit would make for the sweetest gift! Similar to those cookie in a jar gifts but better cause it's coffee related! Just get a large mason jar, add the right amount of coffee beans, cocoa powder, and maybe a Nutpod plus maybe a cute ice cube tray to tie compliment it! SO CUTE.
Can I use cold brew?
Yes or any other strong brewed coffee. You might have to add a little more to get the taste similar to Starbuck's as espresso has a stronger flavor than coffee.
What type of coffee bean should I use?
To achieve the Starbuck's copycat taste we use a light or medium roast bean.
Can I make this decaf? Yes! They sell decaffeinated coffee beans
Can I swap out the sweetener? YES! Use what you love. I personally love maple syrup in most of my coffee drinks but you can alternatively use honey, coconut sugar, or can sugar too to create your sweet drink.
If you do make this perfect drink and love it, then please give me a 5 star rating in the comments section! I LOVE hearing from you! Or you can always snap a pic of your TK creations and tag me on Instagram for a feature! Tag me @thekitcheneer!
Need MORE coffee in your life? Me too.
- Whole30 Bulletproof Coffee
- Cinnamon Honey Oat Milk Latte
- Caramel Macchiato Coffee Floats
- Dairy Free Maple Leaf Latte
- Ginger Snap Latte [Whole30]
Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
This Iced Chocolate Almond Milk Shaken Espresso recipe is my Starbuck's copycat version but made with REAL ingredients and overall healthier option versus the sugar-packed coffee house option.
- 2 shots of espresso
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- Brew espresso shots or strong coffee.
- To a mason jar or cocktail shaker add the cocoa powder, salt, and espresso. Shake vigorously for 10+ seconds to throughly combine the ingredients.
- Add ice to a tall glass and pour the chocolate espresso mixture over top. Add almond milk and sip!
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Espresso Machine
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: iced shaken espresso, iced coffee drink, starbuck's copycat, iced chocolate almond milk shaken espresso, iced espresso, dairy free drink
Simply my new favorite iced coffee drink recipe! So easy and saves me from running to Starbuck's and blowing lots of $$$